Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Family Visit, the ER and some steps

I'll just start with the most intriguing part of the title.
So last Thursday I woke up with a weird feeling in my throat. It was a strange sensation... like the lower part of my throat was closing - it was so tight. Whenever I would eat or drink, I could feel the food or liquid trying to squeeze through the tight spot. Kind of like when a pill gets stuck?
It didn't feel good.
By Friday the upper part of my throat hurt a little bit.
I talked to my mom about my throat predicament and she said it sounded like acid reflux and heartburn... which I've never experienced before.
I decided to let it go a little longer...
That didn't work...
So, I made an appointment with an ENT. The appointment would've been this morning.
By Saturday it was driving me crazy. I knew I couldn't make it until Tuesday.
Sometimes swallowing food was so painful I felt like my heart was about to explode.
I decided to go to a Doc in Da box.
Reed said he would watch the Chapster, and I rushed to make it to the doctor before our company (Reed's sister Meg and her family) arrived.
I droooooove and drove down Highway 98. I passed a few medical clinics but they all appeared to be closed.
Then Reed reminded me (via cellular phone device) about a clinic in Destin.

I pulled into the parking lot. I was the only car. Weird?
I walked inside. Signed in on a sheet of paper.
But there was still no one in sight. I peered down the halls... no one. It was literally deserted.

A few minutes later, a woman came out from behind some creepy mirrored glass. You know, the kind where you can't see them... but they can see you?
Uh huh. She saw me walkin' around lookin'-like-a-fool.

The nurse (good ole' Nancy) took me back and started working on my chart.
I noticed a sign on the wall that said something about being "legally required to assist a woman in labor even if the patient was without insurance." When I asked Nan if they did in fact deliver babies, she stopped writing... and said:
"Um, yeah, if we have to."

They take me back to a big room full of beds separated by curtains.
Doctor comes back, looks at my ears and throat and we talk about acid reflux.
Says he'll do throat culture just in case. No real answers...
Doctor leaves. Waiting for throat culture...
Registration comes to get my insurance card and drivers license.
Registration leaves with my cards to make copies.
Registration comes back and announces that my visit will be $770.


Me: "Why???????"
Weird Registration Lady: "It's your copay for your emergency room visit."
Weird Registration Lady: "This is a free standing emergency room. The copay is for your emergency room visit."
Me: "Ummmm... can I just leave? Ya'll haven't done anything yet. I am not paying 800 bucks for a throat culture.

Long story short. Nan was awesome. She pulled some strings and let me go without the culture and with my 770 dollars.
And I'm apparently an idiot. I walked into an emergency for heartburn.
*It's getting better by the way. I know you were all worried.


This weekend Reed's sister Meg came to visit with her husband Tim, and their cute 4 year-old, Will. We got a babysitter Saturday night and enjoyed some adult time at Stinky's Fish Camp. It was delish and a lot of fun. They had a great band... I think they were in Seaside all day Saturday for Mardi Gras... I really liked them. Jazzy brass band.

Sunday was Valentines day! Chappell was certainly in the spirit dressed in red from head to toe. Snazzy heart sweater and all.
We met Reed's parents at Great Southern Cafe and shared a wondAful meal.
I am still doing the no-carb thing... and let me tell you... it was so hard saying no to their huge/awesome desserts. The key lime pie looked like it was to die for. My mouth was watering from just watching everyone else. Oh how I miss you, sugar.

After lunch we went down to the beach where Will flew a kite.
Of course, of course, of course... my camera was dead.
Hopefully Meg will send me her pics soon. I borrowed her camera and played photog-- you know I'm not going to miss a holiday with Chappy. Not a chance...

Chappell is walking more and more! She walked about 9-10 or so steps several times today.

Hopefully you will see some pics from Valentines Day soon!
Adios and nigh nigh.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails