Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9 Month Check Up

Yo.
So today we went to the pediatrician {Dr. Sprenkle or Sprinkle, as we say around here } for Chappell's 9 month check up. I scheduled it so Reed could go with us during his lunch break, but, as it goes, he ended up having to be in court all day. I guess that's more important.
We got our act together and made it on time. I don't know why I always plan to be on time for doctor's appointments... it only means more waiting.
After signing in (with my own pen + Purell), we strolled on in to the "well child" waiting room and had a seat. We were just chillin' till we had a visitor who went by the name of Samuel.
Samuel proceeded to (practically) climb all over me and tell me that his "tonsils were touching" and that he had ridden on two airplanes today. I found it to be extra irritating that his mother was just watching him annoy me through the glass door as she casually flipped through her Better Home and Gardens.
Seriously.
Some parents...

The appointment went well.
Chappell now weighs 19 pounds and 9 ounces and is 29 3/4 inches tall/long.
I think the height is a little off. I came to this conclusion after observing that the nurse marked too far above her head (on the paper) and put the pieces together (w/ her doctor) when she jumped about 30 % on the growth chart...
She's in the 75th percentile range for all measurements.

What did we learn today?
I learned that it is now time to start backing off of formula, and start pushing food. Can you believe it? I never thought this day would come. Of course, now that it's actually happening, I'm sad in the realization that she's not going to be a baby much longer.
After my, I mean Chappell's, pediatrician walked me through this new "concept," we came to the conclusion that we will be dropping her 2 pm bottle... I think that's how it's going to work. I'll replace the bottle with food.
It's the way of the game. Once you have it figured out, it all changes.
Chappell's also supposed to start eating more table foods.
We are going to make a conscious effort to eat all of our dinners with her, and feed her small bits of what we are eating. Until now, we've been holding off on dinner until Chappy was asleep.

So, we started this new chapter, family dinner, tonight.
Chappell ate a Stage 3 food (broccoli with carrots) and chopped up honeydew melon. She's not quite sure of what to do with the food I place on her tray, and usually just smears it around. I think I've seen her feed herself twice.
One Gerber puff and one piece of melon. It's a slow process.
I still can't get the kid to eat meat.
I actually tried again tonight... she started gagging and I knew what was coming. I just knew chicken noodle was about to cover my face.
We stopped while we were ahead.

Happy 9 month Birthday, Chappelldoodle!


chappyonhead

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails